Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Interview with Kate Bingaman-Burt

Kate Bingaman-Burt is an artist and Assistant Professor of Graphic Design at Mississippi State University. Her current project Obsessive Consumption is currently on exhibit at Fraction Workspace until June 1, 2007.

In this recent interview Kate talks about why Obsessive Consumption isn't that obsessive anymore, and how her work can attract all kinds of consumers.


Carrie MacQuaid:
Do you ever get tired of being obsessed with your own consumption? When do you think you'll be able to get a pedicure and just enjoy it?

Kate Bingaman-Burt: I really don't. I don't even really think of it as being obsessive anymore. I think the process of documenting my purchases actually makes me more aware of being awake instead of passively consuming. To answer your question about getting a pedicure and enjoying it...I think that if I didn't document the purchase and the experience, I would just forget the experience. I enjoyed my pedicure (and other purchases) more because I drew it/photographed etc. I remembered the incident. I don't really see what I do as a form of punishment, but as being awake and aware. Society is being dulled by all of the advertisements and products that constantly assault us. I am choosing to personalize my consumption. Maybe even exhibiting a little bit of control over the constant influx of technology and consumer goods.

CM: Can you tell me more about your favorite and least favorite purchases?

KBB: That is tough...most favorite circle around sentimental reasons...our wedding rings and our dog. I don't have too many least favorite...probably just boring, everyday stuff (which most of my purchases are) like gas, toothpaste etc.

CM: A lot of your work deals with contradictions, (repulsion/attraction) what are some other contradictions you're interested in?

KBB: I like high-tech vs low-tech. mass produced vs diy (which I guess both of those examples are the same). cute vs creepy. high design vs. vernacular design.

CM: I feel like your work is very cathartic, what have you gained yourself from doing this project? What do you hope others to gain?

KBB: Well, I have been doing Obsessive Consumption in one way or another for over five years now...I guess the one thing that I have gained is an outlet to explore different ideas and medias underneath the umbrella of Obsessive Consumption. I am not just limited to being a photographer or illustrator or designer or seamstress or publisher, but I can freely flow from one media to the other. Whatever means necessary. Whatever works for the idea that I want to execute. That is pretty liberating.

As far as what I want others to gain. hmmm. Just to think a bit more about what they are consuming and why. I don't want to preach, I just want to make aware. I like the fact that a mall crazy teenager can be attracted to my work as well as someone who is totally anti-consumerism.





No comments: